Most of the families moving onto the Park Estate in the late 1920’s had children of school age. At first there were no permanent school buildings and the children had to make do with temporary accommodation until later when dedicated schools were built. This means there were many smaller schools that existed between 1926 and the 1940’s, a few of which are listed here in chronological order:
- Marriott Road School
- Southfields Drive School
- The Newry School
- Linwood Lane Girls Schools
- Linwood Lane Boys School
Don't cross the line
During the 50's and 60's the children undertook activities such as visits to Abbey Park and Bosworth Fields as well as Sports Days taking place on Tick-Tock Park.
Almost all the children from Saffron Lane went to Linwood Schools from age 11 – 14, this was a school literally split in two. Upstairs was the girls half of the School and downstairs was the boys half. There was even a white line painted across the playground which separated the boys and girls at lunch time! Crossing this line meant a whole lot of trouble for whoever dared and usually the children stuck to the rules.
Boys and Girls
Today the Linwood School is called the Linwood Centre and is a place for the local community to meet and partake in activities and classes for all ages. For more information on what they have to offer visit their website.
This tradition of separate boys and girls classes and schools carries on even today. Sir Jonathan North Community College based at the city side of the Saffron Lane Estate is an all-girls school and The Lancaster School is an all-boys school. More than just a painted white line separates the boys and girls at lunch time though; even with the schools being next door to each other they are completely different campuses!