Changing Leicester

Perceptions of Heritage Development in the Post War Period

Newarke Houses Museum
1st July - 10th September 2017

With the discovery of the body of King Richard III, there is an increasing fascination with Leicester’s 2,000 year history. Evidence of the city’s past surrounds us in its buildings and even its street layout, which dates from Roman and medieval times.

This exhibition explores how what we consider to be of historical value - or what we consider to be part of our heritage - has changed in the last 70 years. Post-war development plans for Leicester’s housing, transport and industry came together in the city’s 1952 Development Plan, and Leicester established one of the first Planning departments in 1962.

Come and see the story of how Leicester’s past has been revealed; how
changes in the law mean that archaeologists have more chance to investigate development, adding to our knowledge of our heritage and sense of place.

There will be an events programme running alongside the exhibition from July 1st, please see the events listings page here.

See some archive photos of the changing City in the gallery below.

Tram tracks, Aylestone Raod

Highcross Street 1957

Southgates pedestrian underpass 1968

Clock Tower area 1968

Retail Market 1972

Shree Shakti Mandir Canon Street 1980

Demolition near St. Nicolas Circle, 1964

Opening of the Southgates Underpass 1968

Newarke Street 1955

Modbury Ave, Mowmacre Hill, 1959

St. Matthews 1959

Leicester Market and Corn Exchange 1971

Humberstone Gate 1976

Construction in highfields 1968